Wednesday, October 8, 2014

PROMPT 27 - THE EFFORT

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
COME TO THINK OF IT


at first thought:

i mean really
what difference does
it make today what
went on yesterday
with my ancestors living
out their lives
i mean really
what can i learn from
following a paper trail
from the 1940 census in                              
marlboro county south carolina
that could affect me now
i thought                                                            
but
when i saw that
faded old piece of
wrinkled paper with names
in black and white that
showed my great granddaddy's
handwriting showing he
was quite literate
a minister a businessman
a property owner in
his day and time
with the types of
obstacles he had to face
and overcome
it made me confident that
given the not so terrible
conditions under which
i live unlike my forefathers
i can do whatever i
put my mind to do

so on second thought:

genealogy took on a
different meaning and
purpose in my life now
a source of
inspiration

No comments:

Post a Comment