Wednesday, October 15, 2014

PROMPT 28 - THE EFFORT

============================================
FED UP




as if it were not enough
that i was forced
to spend all week long
away from home with
my cousin rob hanging
with his bad-ass friends
on ellery street dennis 
and raymond where
we played ringolivio 1-2-3 in          
the alleyways behind
rob's rundown building
where dennis tripped me 
down while running
on purpose and i cut                                                                       
my finger on a broken
wine bottle then we                                       
broke window panes
in the school yard on                                                           
bushwick ave for awhile
and dennis menacing me
threw a rock
on purpose that hit my
forehead leaving a
quarter-sized knot there
and when we all
went to the store for
my aunt round noon and
stole chocolate candy

from the bodega on
troutman street and dennis
mushed my hershey bar
with almonds before he
knocked it to the ground
on purpose so i took a
deep breath after all 
it was summer vacation
and finally 
my favorite time of day 
came afternoon and rob
said you gotta get him
back but not now it
was quiet time at the 
public library
reading karate books
and boys life magazines 
i was elated until six when
we had to leave where on
the way back my thoughts
were of joining the boy
scouts taking the oath
to do my best
to do my duty
to G-d and
somewhere between
respect and at all times
dennis smashes me in

the middle of my back
near the base of
my spine which dropped
me to my knees and
i couldn't take any more
and they had to pull me
off him but only after
his eyeballs were red
and swollen and i was
so mad with pent up anger
i was going to
kill him
on purpose

No comments:

Post a Comment