Friday, April 10, 2015

POETRY CONTEST

GOODREADS POETRY CONTEST

Want your words to reach millions of people? Goodreads and the ¡POETRY!group have partnered to host an ongoing poetry contest. Join the ¡POETRY!group and vote each month to pick a winner from among the finalists. You can also submit a poem for consideration. Here is our April winner!

what we mean

I took out the trash to apologize. You made dinner to thank me for finishing

our taxes. I stayed on the couch for my bad mood. You went to bed early

for yours. The croissant, a peace offering. Two loads of laundry,

repentance. The sidewalk you shoveled while I slept, something resembling

forgiveness. When the words fail, the house still rings with conversation,

its rooms, wide mouths, the unswept floors, a burgeoning embrace. A kiss waits

inside every spent tube of toothpaste. When the milk sours, we fall in love

all over again. So I am saving the garage for the hard argument.

You are keeping the basement

in your back pocket.

No comments:

Post a Comment